You finally sprung into action and managed to get hold of a Build in Common Toolkit. Now what? Here are 6 easy tips on how to get the most out of your investment:
- As a start, read through the key sections of the Toolkit to understand the major stages you will be working through. You don’t need to be across all the finer details at this stage, just have a broad understanding of what to expect.
- Now go back to the start and focus on your Project Brief. Don’t rush this part. Take your time to really explore what it is you are hoping to achieve from your renovation or build. Delve deeper than simply “I want to extend my home” or “I want to have an open plan living area”. What problem or challenges are you truly looking to address? Try and be specific as possible and make sure to compare notes with others who will be living in the property.
- Capture your ideas and thoughts along the way in writing. You will be surprised how easy it is to forget something when you are in meetings with your trades or builder, or out shopping for fixtures and supplies. This will also help keep you on track and make it easier to convey your ideas and plans clearly to others.
- Get into the habit of taking your Toolkit with you when you visit showrooms or go to meetings. You will appreciate having the handy questions by your side to refer to as needed. Consider adding some sticky notes to those pages that are particularly relevant to what you are shopping or meeting for.
- Never be afraid to ask or indeed feel the need to “stop asking” questions. Remember that you are making a big investment both in terms of time and money, so you are more than entitled to keep asking until you feel you have all the information you need to make the right decisions.
- Keep adding to your Toolkit as your project progresses. Our folders have been designed to allow you to easily add templates, resources, inspiration, tips and tricks as you go. Keep an eye on our blog, eNews and social media channels for whats new!